Do you have an Instagram presence for your business?
Instagram has over 500 million daily users, making it one of the best platforms to build an audience next to Facebook. If you’re not already active on Instagram for business, it’s time to get active! Here are (6) tips for getting started on Instagram.
1.Tell your story.
- Who am I? What do I stand for? What are my values?
- Who do I serve?
- How did I get started/ Why do I do what I do?
- How do I want my product/service to make people feel?
Once you answer these questions, make sure every single post and interaction you engage in reflects your brand story. For example, the founder of Starbucks, Howard Shultz strongly believes in nurturing his customers and employees above all else. This principle of his reflects in Starbucks’ Instagram presence. If you look at their page, Starbucks responds to almost every single comment that a customer leaves on their posts, showing the customer how much Starbucks cares about them and that no customer goes unnoticed or is left behind.
2. Be consistent.
3. Set your page up as a business page.
- Go to “Edit Profile”
- Click “Switch to Business Page”
- Fill out the necessary information.
- You’re good to go!
- You can connect your Instagram account to your Facebook business page and post simultaneously on both at the same time.
- You can view your post insights and performance.
- You can add your contact information on your profile for easy customer access.
4. How often should you post?
5. When should you post?
- Early morning (6:00-7:30am) when people are waking up and checking their phone in the morning.
- Lunch time (11am-1:00pm).
- After dinner (7:00pm-9:00pm). After a long day of work, most people spend a few hours on their phone catching up on what they missed during the day.
6. What should you post?
This is one of the most commonly asked questions in regards to Instagram, and the answer is quite simple! Post a combination of what comes naturally to you (your interests, passions, values) and what your audience wants to see. If you already have an Instagram presence, take a personal audit of your page. Which pieces of content have received the highest amount of likes and comments? Your audience is giving you feedback without you even having to ask for it, so pay attention to it! 🙂 You can also create a poll on your story asking your audience’s opinion on what types of content they want to see more of.
As mentioned before, feed posts are the regular Instagram photo or video that stays on your profile forever. Post a combination of things related to your business and a few personalized pieces of content here and there because people like to know they are interacting with a real person.
If you’re a product-based business, your account should be based on photos of the product, tips about the product, and customer feedback from the product. If you’re a service based business, your account should be based on educating people about your service and showcasing the results you bring. If your business revolves around you (coaches, influencers, etc), then your content should showcase the highlights of your life because as an influencer, people will want to work with you because of the life you have.
1. @raw_farm_by_op is a raw dairy company that does a great job at showcasing their delicious products, customers enjoying the product, and the cute farm animals that provide the milk!
2. @nellstephenson is a paleo nutritious and health and wellness influencer. She does a great job at creating content around fitness, healthy eating, and wellness tips. I love how she does videos, too! Personal content like this is very effective when it comes to building stronger connections with your audience.
Stories are quite different from feed posts. Feed posts are more professional and require more work while stories are more laid back and spontaneous. You can use stories to simply tell your story! Showcase a day in your life as a business owner with behind the scenes photos of what your work day is like. For example, if you make homemade candles, take a video of your candle room! If you are a Realtor, take a quick video showing the house you are doing a walk through in.
If you’re a farmer, take a photo or video of milking the cows, feeding the chickens, or harvesting the tomatoes. In whatever business you’re in, you can always find a way to showcase the highlights of what you do! By doing so, you connect with your audience in new and creative ways.
1. @littlelightcandleco is a mother and daughter owned healthy candle company based in Hondo, TX. They’ve done at amazing job at showcasing the crafting of their artisan candles. Check out Jana pouring another layer of candle wax!
2. @grassfieldfarm is a family-owned farm also based in Hondo, TX that sells grass-fed beef and pasture-raised pork. I love their story highlights on their profile.
Under the “FARM” highlight, they have adorable stories of farm fun and the animals!
Getting started on Instagram can be an intimidating experience. Approach it one step at a time and improve as little as 1% every day, and you will be on the road to Instagram success! The (6) tips above will help you gain a broader understanding of how the platform works and how you can begin to use it to the best of your abilities. Stay tuned for future posts on Instagram strategies to boost engagement and bring more people to your page!
Founder of WHW2N